Friday, November 2, 2007

Harry and Tom Arrive in California

L,

Today I received a letter from Tom telling me more about their vacation. Even though the sun was shinning, it was cold outside; I put on my black coat, mittens and gray hat. I drove my purple wheel chair as fast as I could down the ramp and around the side of the house. However when I got to the back yard, I could not find Dan, Charlie or Samantha. There was a red Cardinal on the bird feeder. When I her if she had seen the three friends, she told me they had gone to the store. I thanked her and went back into the house to wait for the three friend’s return.

Just before lunch, I saw them walking down the street carrying bags of groceries. When they reached the house, I asked if they wanted to come for lunch. Samantha said they had talked about making a surprise picnic lunch for me. When they came in side, I had the old red blanket spread out on the living room floor. After the four of us sat down, Dan reached into the large brown picnic basket and took out red cups, yellow plates, and green and blue napkins. Charlie took out the sandwiches. There were round sandwiches, square sandwiches, and sandwiches that looked like triangles. Each different shaped sandwich was different. One was peanut butter, one was cheese, and one was lunchmeat. Next Samantha poured each of us a glass of red milk.

Once we all were ready, I opened Tom’s letter and began to read.

Dear Pippy,

What fun we are having riding on a train. Harry and I spend a lot of time looking out the window at the mountains. We wish you were with us so that you could see the tall mountains. Some of the mountains are covered in snow and are so tall that their tops are hiding behind the clouds.

We traveled all day; Harry and I played games, read books, and looked out the windows some more. After supper on we went for a walk from the first car to the last car of the train. We spent a second night sleeping on the train. The next morning, after breakfast we went back to our room and waited until the train arrived at the train station.

When Harry and I walked down the steps of the train we saw Henrietta and Thelma. They were holding a big sign over their heads. Can you guess what the sign said? It said, “WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA HARRY AND TOM.” Can you guess what color the sign was? What color would you make the sign?

We all talked at once. Harry and I were busy telling Henrietta and Thelma all about the train ride. Henrietta and Thelma were busy telling us about all the fun things we would be doing. As we talked we walked to the girls car. It didn’t have a top and they had painted flowers on the side of it. When we asked them what they did when it rained, they told us that top was just folded down and they could put it back up when it rained.
Henrietta drove us home and Thelma showed us the room we would be staying in. After lunch Henrietta, Thelma and Harry took a nap. I wasn’t tired and wanted to write this letter.

I wish you could be here with us. I really miss you, Dan, Charlie, and Samantha. Please read this letter them for us.

Your friends,
Tom and Harry



As we ate our different shaped sandwiches, we talked about Harry and Tom’s train ride. We wondered what they would be doing tomorrow. What do you think they will do? Can you draw a picture of Henrietta and Thelma’s car? What color would you make their car? What color flowers would you put on their car? Do you know how to make red milk?

Until next time,
Grandpippy

No comments: