Thursday, July 26, 2007

Harry and Tom Continue Preparing for Christmas

L,

It certainly has been busy here this past week. Every day Harry and Tom send large colorful packages to their family and other friends. Also every afternoon, after the mail has come, I see Harry and Tom coming around the corner of the house with their red wagon and go to the mail box to get the many packages the mail carrier left for them.

One sunny afternoon, I was sitting outside when Harry and Tom came with the wagon to get their mail. I asked them who they were sending so many presents to. Tom told me their mom and dad did not like the cold and snowy weather at their home in the Michigan U.P. Now their mother and father go to Florida where it is warm and sunny during the winter. In Florida they have a house on the beach by the ocean. Their house has lots of windows to let in the cool ocean breeze and a large porch in the front where they sit and eat their breakfast. Harry and Tom also told me that they have two sisters. Their sisters, Henrietta and Thelma live in California. Because their family lived far away in two different states, they have to send their presents to them. Harry told me that they were finished shopping, wrapping, and sending all the presents to their family.

The next morning, I smelled the most delicious baking smells coming from Harry and Tom’s house. I wondered what they were doing, so I made some hot chocolate, put it in a thermos and took some Christmas cookies from our cookie jar. I put thermos of hot chocolate and the Christmas cookies in the box on the back of my wheelchair. I rolled down the ramp, out the garage, and went around the corner of my house to their house in the back yard. I knocked on their door and when Tom came up the stairs and opened the door, I asked if he and Harry would like some hot chocolate and cookies. Tom said they would and because I could not get my wheelchair down the stairs, he and Harry would come outside and have some hot chocolate and cookies with me.

As we sat around the fire in drank the hot chocolate and ate the cookies; they told me that they were busy baking their favorite Christmas cookies and cakes. I asked them what the two of them would do with so many cookies and cakes. They told me they would make hot apple juice and take the cookies, cakes and hot apple juice to share with the others after the Christmas program. They also told me that they liked to wrap some of the Christmas cookies and cakes in packages and on Christmas Eve leave them at their friend’s doors. I think that Charley the cougar, Dan the deer, and Samantha the squirrel will have a nice surprise on Christmas morning.

What color wrapping paper would you use to wrap the cookies and cakes that Harry and Tom are going to leave on their friend’s doors? Do you think you can draw a picture of Harry and Tom’s mom and dad’s house in Florida? What color would you make the house?

Until next time,
Grandpippy

1 comment:

dot said...

I've read this episode before but enjoyed reading it again. I hope you can write more.