Friday, May 11, 2007

Intoduction

Harry and Tom the introduction.

When C and K told us we would be Grandparents, I started thinking about how my father would send his children a weekly email. In his emails Dad would tell about his youth growing up in IL. I decided that writing a weekly email about my youth might not interest a young child. One day, while sitting in my wheel chair looking out the window at the row of trees in the back yard, I decided to write a weekly story.

I wanted these stories to contain several things. They had to be interesting allowing the reader to use their imagination. I wanted the stories to invite the reader to interact with the story. The stories are written to illustrate how we can and should help each other. Finally, I wanted the stories to show that even though someone may be handicapped we can include them in our everyday activities.

It took several months of thinking of different ideas. I would come up with an idea, think about it and try to tell a story. While some ideas worked better than others did none seemed to meet the goals I had. One day I decided to tell a story about two black bears. The black bears seemed promising and after a couple months they formed personalities and seemed to fill the goals I had set forth for my stories. Thus Harry and Tom were born.

I am not certain that I will be able to achieve all these goals. However, I am going to try. So these stories will be part of my legacy to my grandchildren.

Pippy

No comments: